The Technology Taskforce is a group of senior IT accessibility individuals from leading UK and global organisations, working together, to improve the use of inclusive design and accessible technology. It is co-chaired by Paul Smyth Head of Digital Accessibility at Barclays, Diane Lightfoot CEO of Business Disability Forum and Jeff King AVP of European IT at Enterprise Holdings.
What we do
The Taskforce provides tools, best practice, networking opportunities and technology industry influence to help organisations to create and deploy more accessible technology.
- Improve disability knowledge of those who work in and support technology functions.
- Use tools, such as the Accessibility Maturity Model and resources to help embed accessibility and inclusive design as standard practice.
- Define and share best practice that delivers inclusive technology for applicants, employees, and customers.
- Help influence technology suppliers to deliver inclusive products and services.
- Improve accessibility know how and reduce reputational risk.
- Network and work with organisations and suppliers to improve their accessible technology strategy.
- Help influence regulators’ standards to the mutual benefit of businesses and disabled people worldwide.
The Taskforce meets three times per calendar year. The meetings run from 2pm – 5pm, with a range of speakers on the topic of technology. Past topics have included:
- Review of the groups Accessibility Maturity Model scores.
- Website accessibility for the public sector and the impact of legislation on the private sector.
- Internal accessibility standards.
- Automated and manual captioning options.
Our meetings operate using the ‘Chatham House’ rule.
The Technology Taskforce membership is free to Business Disability Forum Partners, and Members can join for £5,000 per year.
Technology Taskforce resources
To find out more about the free resources that the Technology Taskforce have developed, including our world renowned Accessibility Maturity Model (AMM), please visit the Technology category of our Knowledge Hub website.
Get in touch
For more information, please email Lucy Ruck, our Taskforce Manager.