Inclusive Communication Toolkit
Our Inclusive Communication toolkit provides advice and guidance on making sure disabled customers and colleagues are included in the information you are communicating.
Welcome to the Inclusive Communication Toolkit
Communication is a key part of everyone’s job, whether you are in a customer facing role or are communicating internally with colleagues.
Disabled people have the same need for information as non-disabled people. Yet, the communication needs of disabled people are often overlooked. In recent consumer research conducted by Business Disability Forum, at least 7 in 10 respondents stated that their disability or access needs had made it more challenging to find the information they needed when looking to make a purchase for example.
In this toolkit, we want to show you that communicating in an inclusive way is vital if you want your communications to reach everyone. We will also provide you with the tools to make your own day-to-day communications work better for disabled people. You may also find the resources useful when briefing colleagues and when working with external agencies and suppliers.
How to use this Toolkit
Our toolkit includes over 40 resources covering different aspects of communication. We have created a video to tell you more. Watch the video below.
Business Disability Forum Members and Partners have access to the full toolkit. You can explore all six sections at the bottom of this page. If you are not yet a Member, you can still access a small number of free resources, which are listed below.
Where to start on inclusive communication
We know that sometimes it can be difficult to know where to begin. We recommend watching Our Inclusive Communication: 10 top tips video.
We regularly add content to this toolkit. Below are some of the latest resources:
- What is inclusive communication and why is it important? (a free resource, available to everyone)
- Inclusive communication: Ten top tips (a free resource, available to everyone)
- How live captioning changed how I communicate by Matthew Johnston (a free resource, available to everyone)
- How to tag PDFs for accessibility (available to Members and Partners only)
- Inclusive communication: What disabled consumers told us (a free resource, available to everyone)
- Inclusive language: What it is and why it is important (a free resource, available to everyone)
- How to design accessible signage (available to Members and Partners only)
- Creating accessible PowerPoints: 12 top tips (available to Members and Partners only)
- Why inclusive communication matters to your organisation (available to Members and Partners only)
- Statistics on disability and finding information (a free resource, available to everyone)
- Statistics on disability and communication preferences (a free resource, available to everyone)
Business Disability Forum is the leading business membership organisation in disability inclusion. Not a Member or Partner yet? Find out more about joining us.
Explore the Toolkit
You can navigate the sections of the toolkit arranged into six sections in the boxes below.