We are a not for profit membership organisation which exists to transform the life chances of disabled people, working through and with business to create a disability-smart world.
We do this by bringing business leaders, disabled people, and Government together to understand what needs to change to improve the life opportunities and experiences of disabled people in employment, economic growth, and society more widely.
Our 400 Members and Partners represent a huge cross sector of UK and global business, employing an estimated 20% of the UK workforce and 8 million people worldwide. We provide them with a wealth of practical advice and support, thought leadership and networking opportunities so that they can share what works – and what doesn’t!
In turn, we share this feedback and experience with government and policy makers to help shape disability policy that works.
We’ve collated highlights of our year in numbers (covering July 2020 – June 2021.)
What do we do?
We think. We advise. We share.
Our community of businesses, thought leaders, and disabled people develop research which influences Government and business policy development.
Our leading business inclusion Advice Service provide a responsive space for any professional working on any aspect of disability inclusion to talk through ideas, trouble shoot, and get case management support on the disability related challenges in their business.
Our events, sector networks, and subject task groups bring together professionals with shared interests to learn from one another, share insight on what works, and collaborate on projects.
We provide practical, evidence-based, strategic solutions for businesses to recruit, retain, and provide inclusive products and services to disabled people via our Disability Business Partners and Senior Disability Business Partners. Our policy, research, and advice related functions are channels by which Business Disability Forum has access to the latest business insight on challenges, changing business structures and landscapes, and the types of practices that employers and service providers are currently developing and are most effective for removing barriers for people with disabilities and long-term conditions.
Why Business Disability Forum?
- We are the only organisation that exists to equip and work with every area and level of a business. The depth of relationships we have enables us to us to harness the combined experience of business and disabled people to improve business practices and influence disability related Government policy development.
- We speak across the whole business. We have tools and resources for leaders, recruitment, learning and development, talent and inclusion, human resources, employee relations and engagement, organisational development, health and safety, estates and facilities, communications and marketing, technology, and procurement.
- We speak at every level. C-suite, board, senior management, policy and legal, ‘mid’ management, line managers, employee networks. Whether you are communicating your businesses’ vision, driving strategy, writing policies, implementing procedures, designing processes, or managing people, we can work with you and share the approaches other businesses in your sector and beyond take.
- We are experienced specialists. Our experts have worked in a range of sectors in many professions: diversity management, recruitment, human resources management, employment law, education, disabled people’s care and support services, people and business management, social research.
- We are disability inclusion. 65 per cent of our own staff and 60 per cent of our leadership team have a disability or long-term condition. Many of our staff are involved in disabled people’s organisations that represent our own conditions or interests. We speak as qualified business professionals as well as from the experience of our own stories as people with disabilities and long-term conditions.