Consultations and inquiry topics we have contributed to include the following:
- Assistive technology in employment
- The future of assistive technology in education and employment
- Accessibility of public sector websites and apps
The Great Big Workplace Adjustments Survey 2023
Our Great Big Workplace Adjustments Survey 2023, sponsored by Microlink, also looks at the experience of recent disabled graduates who have moved into employment in the last five years. We are looking at how their experiences of Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) compare to Access to Work (ATW) and how easy it is to get the technology and adjustments they need. We will report our findings in Summer 2023.
Technology For Life
For disabled people, getting the right assistive technology in place at the right time can be extremely difficult. Support with accessing assistive technology is only available for two specific stages of life: university and work. It’s not continuous, it’s not permanent, and it’s not transferable. In 2020, we proposed Technology For Life: a new life-long model to give disabled people access to assistive technology throughout their lives. This would be:
- a funded service supplying assistive technology to people throughout their lives
- tailored for an individual person’s life circumstances,
- reassessed as a person’s circumstances change so they always have the right support in place.